Thursday, August 29, 2013

Tomato Basil Soup Recipe and Tuna Ranch Sandwiches


                                Today's Garden Fresh Tomato Basil Soup!
 Today I felt for tomato basil soup and I just happened to have some fresh Roma tomatoes and green peppers from the garden along with fresh basil growing in an herb pot.  This was not a time for measuring but for creating delicious by taste.  I started with filling a 2 quart pot with chopped tomatoes and then I decided what other ingredients to add.  Oh, and as the tomatoes cooked down a bit, I added more to fill the pot.
This is my approximate recipe for today's lunch….feel free to change it according to your tastes.  I did not add any liquid because the tomatoes were juicy enough but you could easily thin it with water or turn it into a cream of tomato soup with a little half and half or heavy cream.

10 cups chopped Roma tomatoes
1/4 cup green bell pepper
1/4 cup yellow bell pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
8 fresh sweet basil leaves, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
2 dashes Italian seasoning


Cook all ingredients together for about 20 minutes…until veggies are cooked.  I like to add the basil in the last few minutes of cooking.
Top with a dollop of sour cream and serve.
This is a chunky style soup recipe cooked with the tomato peels on.  It can be made into a cream style tomato soup right in the pot with a Stick Blender with or without cream or half and half.

For those that just want the flavor without the extra veggies, stalks of celery and larger.chunks of peppers and onion can be cooked with the tomatoes and removed before serving. I've done that too, but consider it a waste of good veggies and fiber.

The tomato soup is fat free the way I make it and I don not miss the fat. 1 TBS of Olive oil could be added....or a TBS of Butter....or 2 TBS of Sour Cream for different taste sensations.

I created a Tuna Ranch Sandwich Recipe that I enjoy having with Tomato Basil Soup. 



                                          My Tuna Ranch Sandwich Recipe


The sandwiches today are open faced grilled French style light rye bread with lacy Swiss cheese, topped that with a mix of tuna and veggies.  Again, this is by taste, so feel free to experiment.

          Tuna mix recipe:
 6 oz packet of tuna
1/2 cup of mixed fresh veggies: chopped celery, green pepper and yellow pepper
1 TBS Miracle Whip
2 TBS Ranch dressing with bacon
 Grill the bread on one side with thin slices of lacy Swiss cheese or your favorite cheese and then top with the tuna and veggie mix and serve.

#share #soup #sandwich #recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment